> nazgul ~ # eix gimp-print
> [I] media-gfx/gimp-print
>      Available versions:  4.2.7 (~)5.1.0 {cups foomaticdb gimp gtk nls
> ppds readline}
>      Installed versions:  5.1.0(20:50:45 05/02/07)(cups foomaticdb gimp
> gtk -nls ppds readline)
>      Homepage:            http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
>
> I have no need to see that full list of USE flags between braces on
> the "Available versions" line - the information is already on
> the "Installed versions" line.

It is accidental that the informations are identical in this case.
The first one are the useflags of all ebuilds for the package, the
second one are that stored in /var/db/pkg. You will see a
difference for other packages (e.g. probably for gcc or *-sources).
Note that if you use -l (--versionlines) the IUSE output will be even
more verbose, but I guess if you look at the gcc/*-sources example
you will understand the reason.