I have a Gentoo VM that I've used for years (XP Host. Workstation 5.5.3). Works
great.

I copied the .vmdk and .vmx files to a new directory called "LAMP". I edited
the .vmx file changing the appropriate paths. Now when
I start the new VM, my networking fails. (I changed nothing inside the linux
VM).

ifconfig eth0 says:
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

dmesg | grep says:
pcnet32.c:v1.33.27 blah blah blah
pcnet32.c PCnet/PCI II ..... and my MAC address 00:0c:29:e8:fd:74
eth0: registered as PCnet/PCI II 79C970A
pcnet32: 1 cards_found.

lspci | grep net says:
00:11.0 Ethernet controller: [AMD] blah blah

pcnet-diag says it finds the card etc. too.

my kernel (2.6.19) is set to CONFIG_PCNET32=y, so I don't load it as a module.
It seems that the driver is being loaded right?
What could be the problem?

If I load the original Gentoo VM, it works fine. Both are set to NAT.