On Friday 11 May 2007 14:34, Martin S wrote:

> Just recently tried using
>
> locate foo.conf | cd
>
> to automagically move to the directory in which I've saved foo.conf
> Of course it didn't work as you can't cd to /bar/foo.conf

It would not have worked anyway, since cd does not read its input from
stdin. Try:

[/]$ echo "etc" | cd
-bash: echo: write error: Broken pipe
[/]$

> I didn't find a way to dropping the actual file name from the result
> of locate.
> I did a brief google on locate, but didn't find a switch to drop the
> actual file name from the result.

It's not a locate problem. Use the "dirname" command.

$ dirname /bar/foo.conf
/bar
$

and do something like

cd $(dirname "$(locate foo.conf)")

of course, make sure that the locate command returns just a single entry.