I am new to Gentoo, and working on getting things up and going.  I am
running an HP Pavilion with an Athlon 64 processor.  I'll build a
desktop eventually when I have the time, but for now this is it.

I am attempting to install the x86 version of Gentoo from the i686
stage3 tarball, and so far have had no luck getting the ATI video
drivers to compile.  (My reason for this is that I wish to be able to
run the current version of blender, which seems to have issues under
AMD64 at this time.)  However, if I do a networkless install, it works
fine, but there are strange issues with upgrading.  Portage has no love
for a synthesized system. :P

Anyway, I will probably post actual error messages in the near future if
I can't figure it out myself.  In the mean time, I'm wondering how many
people on the list are military or retired military living in the
pacific AOR (especially Kanto).  If you want you can respond directly on
this one. ^_^  I'm not asking to fill the list with the info! Hehe.

Also, what is the difference between the Gentoo LiveCD and the LiveDVD?
What are the advantages of the DVD?  I am considering downloading it if
there is adequate benefit.

---
Ken.