At Sun, 20 May 2007 19:13:24 +0200 Gian Domeni Calgeer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 20. Mai 2007 17:57 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>> If you mean to physically plug the device in when you are
>> starting X, that is not a satisfactory option by any means. :/
>
> That is exactly what I mean. The problem seems to be that the BIOS sets the
> external monitor as the default output device if it is already plugged when
> the computer is switched on. Unlike my father's notebook, mine doesn't have
> an option in the BIOS setup to set the internal screen as the default output
> device.

Have you tried booting (with the device plugged in) into single user
mode, then trying to convince the system to use the built in screen as
the default device (fn-f7 on my machine), and finally exiting the
single user shell to go multiuser?  (One could also hit fn-f7 while
the system has the grub screen displayed and then go straight to
multiuser.)

I need to use such tricks since my laptop is 1680x1050 while the
external monitor is 1600x1200.  I find that having the (text) output
already directed to the external monitor (mine defaults to internal)
prior to xdm/gdm invocation is useful (necessary?) to get 1600x1200
resolution.

allan