On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:27:10 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> I did #emerge --sync a couple of weeks ago, followed
> by an update of portage. But seems every time I do $
> emerge -pv <some pkg> it always references software
> out-of-date by years sometimes. Two recent examples:
> sdcc and ecasound. There are many more.

If you want the latest, the first thing to do is sync, othrwise you're
going to miss out on anything added in the last two weeks.

> How do I tell portage to go for the latest stable pkg
> without having to download the tarball and
> compiling/installing it manually?

Ebuilds are generally marked stable around a month after being added to
portage, so if you want the latest version of a program, you need to
emerge the testing (~arch) ebuild.

--
Neil Bothwick

April Fools! You're really in a holodeck simulation!