I am curious, though: If you like the sysklogd
> layout to the point that you want to replicate it exactly in other log
> daemons, why do you want to switch log daemons?

Last sysklogd version if from 2001.
And portage contains 1.4.2_pre2007* versions. This was curious to me.

And on the other hand, other distributions don't use sysklogd anymore.
Instead they use syslog-ng, for example.

But i guess, they have a more suitable default setting. Everything going
to /var/log/messes is just to simple, i think. Actually i don't want the
layout to be like sysklogd. But i would like a little more complicated
default setting.