On Wednesday 30 May 2007 21:16:18 Mat Harris wrote:
> > Don't use --nodeps. That would just make a mess out of [your] system. If
> > you've installed split kde (kde-meta) then why are you trying to install
> > monolithic kde packages? I.e. why are you trying to install kdebase
> > rather than kdebase-meta and kdepim rather than kdepim-meta? And why are
> > you installing either of those at all when they have already been pulled
> > in by kde-meta?
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
>
> Aah ok well the howto i found on google didn't mention anything about using
> meta packages for the apps once i had the base installed. This could
> explain why I have spent the last week compiling stuff for kde ;)

Well, you only need meta packages if you want to install everything that ships
together upstream. You could just emerge the split packages you want such as
e.g. konqueror, kcontrol, etc..

> Ok i'll probably re-install unless there's some easy way to clean up.

There certainly is an easier way than reinstalling for this issue. What you've
posted thus far actually suggests that you haven't made a mess out of your
system yet as it showed kdepim and kdebase as not yet installed. In that case
you just need to stop trying to install monolithic packages.

Otherwise you need to unmerge the monolithic packages you've installed
with --nodeps and remerge the split packages that they've overwritten. Code
Listing 3.1 in the above document shows you how to get the name of the
packages any monolithic package would overwrite.

E.g. if you've emerged kdebase-meta and kdebase at the same time and you want
to stick with split packages you can do this:

# emerge -Cva kdebase
# function die() { echo $@; }
# source $(portageq portdir)/eclass/kde-functions.eclass
# emerge --oneshot -va $(get-child-packages kde-base/kdebase)

--
Bo Andresen