On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:13:58 -0400
sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > sean wrote:
> >> I have a Windows XP driver here that belongs to a friend that just
> >> crashed.
> >>
> >> I am trying to figure out if there is some way I can force the
> >> drive to mount on my system so that I can get some data off it for
> >> her.
> >>
> >> Not having much luck, would anyone have any tips as to how I might
> >> be able to make this happen?
> >
> > What happened when you tried to mount it (and is it formatted NTFS
> > or FATXX)?
> >
> > If the disk has real errors (i.e bad sectors as opposed to
> > software/windows problems), then app-forensics/autopsy might get the
> > important user data off.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark
>
> Tried to mount it as NTFS.
>
> Not familiar with this software, will have to check it out.
>
>               Thanks
>               Sean
There are things you can do if - AND ONLY IF - the drive doesn't work
when used as usual.  Don't try this until you're sure there's no other
option.  Also, I have never done this, but have had it explained to me
by 2 techs, one who owns his own shop, and another who worked
at compUSA, in the tech department, and I belive them.

The first thing you can try is to freeze the drive.  How to keep the
condensation out, I don't know.. I seem to recall seeing a drive in an
antistatic bag in a freezer but I don't know the details.  hopefully
the internet can fill them in. You might also try keeping it cold with
compressed air cleaning canisters held upside down, or using them for
light cooling by themselves.  Look into it, at any rate, because I
think this one's promising.

Secondly, a drive sometimes needs a little 'encouragement' before it'll
cough up the data.  Try tapping , nudging, or banging it around a
little before you decide to throw it away.

I certainly hope this helps a bit.  This is of course a last resort --
people are probably going to say it's rediculous, but there's no loss
at the point of your trashing the disk.