Hello

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:28:20PM +0200, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:21:03 +0200 "Michal 'vorner' Vaner"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > First: You need to load the kernel from the swap, in the time it
> > loads, you have no running kernel (well, there is a little part, but
> > that one has no clue about network).
>
> No, that's not entirely true. Userspace suspend and resume is in the
> kernel since 2.6.17. See my other post in this thread for a pointer (I
> think it was http://suspend.sf.net/). So for this way it really happens
> all in userspace, with a fully working kernel available. When the image
> is loaded into RAM, the resume utility makes a syscall to have the
> kernel automatically copy & switch over.
>
> See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/*suspend* for all the details.

OK, I use suspend 1, which seems the least buggy to me, I did not know
some of the suspends were in userspace. If so, then yes, it can work.

> > Second: You do not want swap on nfs, since it is terribly slow, buggy,
> > nfs can allocate memory to transfer data and you get a circular
> > problem
> > - to get a memory, you need to get a memory. And, what if your cat
> > steps on the ethernet cable?
>
> Resume aborts, checksum error. But that's it. But true, I wouldn't
> trust NFS too much, either. But then, there are nbd's (network block
> devices) which would probably work a treat. But userspace resume from a
> file on NFS should work reliably, too.

No, that was not for resume, but for use of swap on NFS. You need fast
response from swap and reliability.

> > You might try suspend to ram, thought. It should work on diskless
> > machine as well as on any other.
>
> ...cough, cough... yeah, /as/ well as on any other. So this probably
> means: It won't work until you switch off ACPI and resort to APM... But
> of course, that will depend.

Why? It works fine for me. It just suspends and goes on the other day on
my laptop, all working by ACPI - with kernel suspend 1.

--
This message has optimized support for formating.
Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner