> Can somebody help me stop and restart X?  I'm using kdm for login.

Just in case your X-Server is still responding AT ALL you can always try
hitting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill it. This will work up to a certain
level of "hanging".

Then simply restart it by typing "startx".

Otherwise ssh into your box and use "ps -ax | grep X" or "ps -e | grep
X" to get X's PID and then kill it using "kill".
kill has a priority switch. So "kill [PID]" might not work. However
"kill -9 [PID]" will kill about anything on the spot. If the -9-switch
fails to kill X you are having more serious troubles.

My two cents
Paul