> But, this time, boom! Now everything is scrunched into
> the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've maxed
> out the settings in the screen control panel on the
> monitor itself and managed to move the text to a band
> down the center of the screen with margins of about
> two inches. Now instead of no  margins, they're too
> big.

> mode "1024x768-76"
>     # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
>     geometry 1024 768 1024 768 16
>     timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
>     accel true
>     rgba 5/10,5/5,5/0,0/0
> endmode

Okay, this is somewhat of a guess, but perhaps some of the timings
are incorrect, as this controls "margins" (see fbset manpage).

First it may be wise to change the first timing setting (pixclock)
to 0 (at least for now), as this'll auto-select that setting.

For the others, perhaps you could experiment with the settings
individually, using fbset, to get an idea of whether they may have a
part to play in this most odd problem. Something like "fbset -left
100".

> Another thing: doesn't the -a switch set (a)ll the
> consoles? Not in this instance.

Yes, it should, and does for me...

> What's even more confusing is that in the .config I
> have
>
> CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="[EMAIL PROTECTED]".
>
> Why doesn't it try that since now my command line has
> just "video=vesafb" with *no* parameters at all? And
> no complaints in dmesg.

As far as I can see it should... Hmm...

Sorry I can't be more help.

Good luck

-Nick

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F