On Friday 08 June 2007 23:34, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 08 June 2007, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]

> > > OT: Ubuntu distros (Kubuntu, expecially) are really, really shiny and
> > > slick pieces of software. I just installed Kubuntu 7.04 at work and
> > > it's the more polished, ready-to-go, easy to use Linux distro I've
> > > ever seen. I use Gentoo on my home desktop for various reasons and
> > > because I have different needs, but the Linux community has only to
> > > learn from the Ubuntus.
[snip]

> > Or: there is a difference between userfriendly and made
> > for idiots.
>
> Ubuntu being neither. ;)

This is a bit [OT] on the [OT]:

a)Difficult to install packages of choice:

I tried to install TinyERP on a Ubuntu server (feisty) and it's fallen apart
on python2.4-psycopg.  I've tried different things (ref.
http://tinyerp.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11122#11122  ) but could not get it
to install and run.

I suspect that this is not an exceptional experience because the week before
it took me more than a day of digging and symlinking to get openbravo to
install on the same box.

In frustration I decided to install TinyERP on my Gentoo PC for the Ubuntu's
server owner to try out, in case he changes his mind and saves me the hustle
of trying to install it on Ubuntu.

b)Upgrades

I ran apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade to upgrade to feisty and ended up
having to reinstall, because the end product was unbootable.  There were no
warnings, no messages, no suggestions as to what config files might have
needed editing (don't you just love etc-update).

You might argue that all of the above are indicative of my lack of knowledge
of binary distros, their dependency conflicts and in particular Ubuntu's
inner works. You would be right, except that Ubuntu is meant to be
idiot-proof.  On the other hand my Gentoo experience has been comparatively
much more painless and seriously less time consuming, despite needing to iron
out some problems with the installation of postreSQL (a 15 minute exercise in
total).

Just my 2c's.

PS. If you have any suggestions as to how I can complete the install of
TinyERP on Ubuntu I'd be grateful if you can email me off list!  :)
--
Regards,
Mick