On 6/7/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:55:45 -0400
"John Blinka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    sshd doesn't start
>    nfs doesn't start
>    rsyncd doesn't start

Are those being started (i.e. tried to) at boot? Is it just "fail" then
for you? There should at least be a bit of debug info in the output at
startup... You might also try the interactive boot up (hit "I") and see
what happens.

I used interactive bootup as you suggested, and discovered that
the system is not even attempting to start them, even though
rc-update thinks they're supposed to be started at the "default"
runlevel.  I can start them by hand without any errors, so the lack
of messages in the logs isn't surprising.

You _did_ run etc-update (or its siblings) in order to
get the new files in /etc/init.d/ activated? You're sure you have the
new versions of those files installed?

Yes, I ran etc-update, and revdep-rebuild.  I do have the latest versions
of the /etc/init.d files.

Since all of those daemons depend on network: Are there network
settings for interfaces that fail on boot up?

Network works fine.

John