Unless I'm misunderstanding something, ATI basically said
"screw you" to anybody with a 92xx series card.  ATI's drivers
stopped supporting the r2xx chipsets after version 8.28.8, and
that version only works up through xorg 7.1.

My ATI based card is only 3 years old, and it's useless if I
want to do DRI.  OTOH, I've got a 7 year old NVidia card that's
still supported.  The closed source NV drivers have always
"just worked" for me, and the ATI close-source drivers have
always been hard to get installed and flakey once they were
installed.

Yes I know there are open-source drivers that are supposed to
do DRI for the r2xx chipset, but they've got so many rendering
issues they're useless.  I just tried again with the
open-source drivers.  Glxgears runs OK, but on the opening
screen of ppracer, none of the menu text is rendered.

I swear I'll never buy another ATI chipset again. If AMD
doesn't straighten out the mess at ATI, I'll switch back to
Intel CPUs as well...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want to kill
                                  at               everyone here with a cute