Hi all,

I faced an ethernet driver miss during my kernel configuration,
because I had a wrong idea of what 'make oldconfig' did. I thought the
oldconfig target build up a new .config file starting from the
/proc/config.gz one then asking for new options.

But It was not the case here:

sd-4421 linux-2.6.20-gentoo-r8 # gunzip -c /proc/config.gz | grep VIA
CONFIG_MVIAC3_2=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_VIA=y
CONFIG_VIA_RHINE=y
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE_MMIO is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE_NAPI is not set
CONFIG_VIA_VELOCITY=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIA=y
CONFIG_I2C_VIA=m
CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO=m
# CONFIG_SENSORS_VIA686A is not set

sd-4421 linux-2.6.20-gentoo-r8 # make mrproper oldconfig
[snip]

sd-4421 linux-2.6.20-gentoo-r8 # grep VIA .config
# CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y
# CONFIG_PATA_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_VELOCITY is not set
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIA=y
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set

So, I did not build up the VIA RHINE and VELOCITY drivers.
Now I have to build my conf again since the whole configuration may
not suit what I was looking for.

Anyone to tell me what oldconfig target does ?

Many thanks for your support,

Gal'