At the very first , make sure you have load your sound card driver .check it
by

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                     HDA NVidia at 0xf5000000 irq 17

If you get no card found , reconfigure your kernel or install your
alsa-driver

if you want to install the alsa-driver by emerge , don't forget to add your
sound card flag in your make.conf

ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

then you can flow this howto http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA

Personal idea , I recommend you to use ALSA to instead of arts ......

I'm using it very well ............