On 7/3/07, Naga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 00:19:14 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to
make
> this part of gentoo?  If so, how would one do that?

See DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf (man page I think, or .example)

Thanks, I was able to track it down from that hint.

For the record:
  Read about it in "man make.conf".

The description there is quite sparse, and I haven't done any emerges since
I set it,
so I'm not sure exactly how it works.  I think it just sets
version-independent symlinks,
and leaves it up to you whether to bookmark them.

Unless there's more going on, I'm going to prefer my little script.  It
builds a web page
with current links, organized by package.  I run it in a cron job several
times a week,
so it's pretty much up-to-date.    These are all listed unless they are
linked from another
index.html higher in the directory structure.  This makes most of the
entries pretty clean, with
a few notable exceptions: boost, java, apache, drscheme, python-docs and
mplayer among the packages I have.  I'll probably tweak these when I get
some time.

For me the main advantage is in doing a quick check to see if a given
package actually has
any "index.html" files anywhere under /usr/share/doc.  Just browsing to the
file can be a pain sometimes, and my patience is usually thinner than usual
when
I'm desperately seeking documentation.

So: am I the only one who likes this?

++ kevin