In 7/4/07, Philip Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

070704 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have been using KDE for a long long time.
> Suddenly it's not there any more.
> anything else just sends me back to (what I think is) kdm.
> The first time I went to log in after rebooting, a dialog box told me
> that my KDE 3.5 startup was old or invalid and would be removed.
> Indeed, kdm is NOT presenting me with an option to start a KDE session.
> My only choices seem to be fluxbox and failsafe.
> My setup does not seem to correspond to the guidance on setting up KDE
> that I found in the Gentoo docs.

You may have reasons for doing it this way, but I keep it much simpler.
I boot to a raw login prompt, login there, then enter 'startx'.
I have a file  ~/.xinitrc  ('dbus-launch' is to enable Epiphany) :

  xscreensaver &
  dbus-launch startkde

If I want (rarely) to start Fluxbox, I have another file  ~/.xinitrc-fb :

  xscreensaver &
  fluxbox

which I copy 'cp .xinitrc-fb .xinitrc' (keeping a copy of the KDE
version).
I don't use Kdm at all, thus avoiding the kind of problem you've run into
& which I too ran into a few years ago.

I recommend unmerging all your existing KDE material,
then remerging the latest 3.5.7 (which I've been using since 070610)
using whatever individual packages you need.  Then keep it upto-date.

Absent a strong reason, I'll stick to stable X86, which seems to be 3.5.5.

Anyway, as noted above, the problem turned out to be that my first
--depclean got rid of kdebase-startkde.  Re-emerging it got me going again.

Thanks, all, for your time and attention.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD