on Thursday 07/05/2007 Michael Niggli([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote
 > maxim wexler wrote:
 > > Hi group,
 > >
 > > I posted earlier on this subject but scored no hits.
 > > I've been poking around on the Web for answers but so
 > > far without luck.
 > >
 > > When I plug the player into port and $dmesg, this
 > > comes up:
 > >
 > > <SNIP>
 > >
 > > Why won't it assign a drive, like /dev/sda? It does on
 > > another machine with virtually the same setup.
 > >
 > > Nothing shows up in udevinfo, cat /proc/partitions.
 > >
 > > but,
 > >
 > > #lsusb
 > > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:9826 Samsung Electronics
 > > Co., Ltd
 > >
 > > and
 > >
 > > $cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
 > > <snip>
 > > S: Manufacturer=NewTech Inc
 > > S: Product=USB Mass Storage Device 2.0
 > > <snip>
 > >
 > > I tried making the node manually(assuming /dev/sda)
 > >
 > > #mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
 > >
 > > but attempts to mount the device return "/dev/sda is
 > > not a valid block device"
 > >
 > > What am I missing?
 > >
 > > Maxim
 > >
 > In the other post you mentioned that the kernel configs of those two
 > machines are,
 > concerning USB settings, the same. But how about SCSI disk support? It
 > seems to
 > be needed for USB storage, or at least its help text in menuconfig says
 > so... :)

There is also another config which I found very helpful -- for at
least recognizing a card reader which is not in the default config and
that is
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y

Hope this helps.

How do