On 7/7/07, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
This is telling us that your default card is not getting an IP address back
from the router.  I am assuming that this is because you do not have a cat5
cable connecting you to the router and you rely on the wireless adapter,
which in turn has not been configured?
[...]

It's kinda one of those things where more information would just muddy
the waters ;)

However, the fedora live cd navigates it fine.  I repeat this to make
clear that the depth of the issue should shallow, or at least this is
my belief.

> livecd ~ # ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:88:37:FA:22

Do you know which device this MAC address belongs to?  lshw should show you.

Because I use the Asus WL-330g, it has to use specific NIC, in this
case the built-in NIC, the SiS, since that's what it's configured for.
I'll look into it.

It seems that only one device is configured (eth0).  Knowing which device
(wired or wireless) is mapped to eth0 would help the whole process.

gotcha.

OK you have two adaptors:
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI
> Fast Ethernet (rev 91)

> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

I don't know which one is a wireless and which one is a wired NIC (from a
quick google they both look like wired PCI cards to me).

yes, both wired.

> livecd ~ # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by

> sis900                 20992  0
> 8139too                22912  0
> mii                     7168  2 sis900,8139too

Modules have been installed.

good.  this is a major point from my point of view:  this is *not* a
driver issue?

> livecd ~ # dmesg | grep -i net
> Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.2.9-k4
> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.28
This does not have a configured interface.

> eth1: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xb000, IRQ 22, 00:16:ec:23:af:88.
> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.28
> eth1: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xb000, IRQ 22, 00:16:ec:23:af:88.
This one does and it is eth1.

When you run /sbin/dhcpcd eth1 what do you get?

will do.

You may also want to try iwconfig eth0, or iwconfig eth1 in case either are
wireless adaptors.  If none of your PCI cards are wireless you may want to
modprobe -r 8139too since it is not being recognised anyway, re- modprobe -v
sis900 and check what is shown under ifconfig as a recognised NIC device.

Thanks, yes.  From Linux (gentoo or fedora) it doesn't even appear to
be a wireless conection to my knowledge.  I'll try that modprobe and
will get back to the list.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Mick

Thank you,

Thufir

ps:  I used the live cd, 2006, on a different box (different
motherboard) with the same Asus WL-330g wireless bridge device
thing-a-ma-jig in the past.  worked fine.  This is a different NIC,
but...I might try the 2006 CD, too.