On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:35:05 +0100
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 06/07/07, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> > > The wiki says not to use the FUSE module in the kernel, but to
> > > emerge it as a separate module.  I don't think it says anything
> > > about not including the normal ntfs driver (I'm sure I have it
> > > built in mine).
> >

> > I do not have ntfs support built into the kernels on the 2 gentoo
> > system where ntfs3g is now working. I simple made the (dir)
> > set a mount point, put an entry in fstab so it happens automatically
> > on reboot.
> >
> > I manually mounted the drive like this:
> > ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
> >
> > and it works just fine......
>
> Did you have to re-emerge ntfs-3g with setuid flag for your normal
> user to be able to mount the ntfs partition for writing?

pascal ~ # ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g: No device is specified.

ntfs-3g 1.616 - Third Generation NTFS Driver

Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Yura Pakhuchiy
Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Szabolcs Szakacsits

Usage:    ntfs-3g <device|image_file> <mount_point> [-o option[,...]]

          streams_interface=. Please see details in the manual.

Example:  ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/win -o force,locale=en_EN.UTF-8

Ntfs-3g news, support and information:  http://ntfs-3g.org

> Also, I noticed that there is a startup script /etc/init.d/fuse listed
> under rc-update.  What is that for?

Adding the fuse control filesystem to /proc or /sys appears to be the
primary function.