On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:59:12 +0930
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hear a bios beep, and that's it.
> Maybe it's a MBoard issue?  Maybe a video card issue?  Hmmm, I don't
> want to replace the whole lot!

Ever hear of a POST code?  if not, look up the post codes for your
bios / motherboard and you may be able to get a head start on diagnosis
there.

>> Often power supplies will run ok can then glitch causing a
>> reboot. It cannot hurt to swap the power supply to see if that
>> fixes the random reboots....

This happens sometimes with cheap power supplies, it's true.  One
temporary and inconsistant solution is to remove all unnecessary power
suckers, like hds, case fans (which evidently do nothing for you
anyway) and cdrom.  That might get it working, but not for long no
doubt.

>the system is a bit strange.  Sometimes it shows a CPU clock of
>2999MHz,
>sometimes 3000MHz; sometimes the RAM shows DDR398, sometimes DDR400.
>It's always the same for one particular run of memtest, but sometimes
>changes between boots.

Wow, that is wierd.  Have you tried looking for BIOS updates?