On Sunday 15 July 2007 22:00:15 Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Fixed /etc/fstab so that it now refers to /dev/lovesong/gentoo.  And fstab
> gets the message, because it now complains that there's no
> /dev/lovesong/gentoo.  And when I get a shell, I discover that it's
> right.  There is now no /etc/lovesong at all.  /dev/mapper exists, but it
> contains only /dev/mapper/control.
>
> using your workaround of changing the pass from 1 to 0 in the /etc/fstab
> file, it boots.  But I still have no access to the other partitions on
> the disk.  I still have no /dev/lovesong. except of course that
> /dev/lovesong/gentoo has been mounted.  And /dev/mapper still contains
> only /dev/mapper/control.

Hmm, more interesting.
Sounds like you don't have lvm2 (sys-fs/lvm2) installed. Genkernel pulls it's
own version in to build the initrd/ramfs, but the actual install will need it
merged separately to "start" LVM at boot.
If you get Gentoo booted you could try manually "starting" LVM:
vgscan
pvscan
vgchange -ay

It's vgchange -ay that makes all logical volumes in all volume groups
available, the two scans just makes sure device mapper is aware of all
devices and volumes.

--
Mike Williams