Dale wrote:
Well, I found out what was wrong with this thing. If you go to Tools > Download Manager and look in the window, there is a list of everything I have saved since I started using Seamonkey as my browser. That was a long time. I did a ctrl A to select all the downloads and then told it to remove them all from the list. This thing ran for 15 or 20 minutes at full throttle until I finally gave up and killed Seamonkey. I then went diggin in the .mozilla directory and found the file where all this is kept. I made a copy just in case then deleted the file completely. The file was HUGE. After I deleted that file I went back to some of the sites I got to and downloaded some images and then saved them. It was nice and fast again.

So, the morale of this story is to delete all that crap in the download manager every once in a while before it gets to huge.

Thanks Billy Wayne for helping me test this thing. It got me off to a new start.

Dale

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a feature or a bug??

Hi Dale,

Glad I could be of some assistance. I had never tried Seamonkey before, so this has given me opportunity to try it out. It'd be great if Firefox plugins (or at least NoScript) worked within Seamonkey. I rather like the "full-featuredness" of this app. I'll have to research.

In my opinion, it is difficult to imagine how what you've discovered could be a feature. Also, it seems strange that simply having a download history (even a large one) within Seamonkey's download manager causes such an issue. I believe the standard protocol in such situations is to install the seamonkey-bin to test whether or not the -bin exhibits the same behaviour. If it doesn't, then it is a bug that should be filed with Gentoo. If it does, then it is a bug that needs to be filed with Mozilla. If this is inaccurate, I request correction, me being a n00b and all. :)

Nice to meet you Dale. Happy Gentoo'ing.

Billy Wayne