On 7/18/07, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:49:00 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Another method, which I would use, would be to change your CFLAGS to
> what you would like for the new processor, but use mtune= instead of
> march=. This will also optimize for the cpu, but the code will run on
> any x86 CPU. emerge world --emptytree to re-compile everything, then
> switch your hardware.

Recompiling everything is unnecessary, you only need to recompile those
packages that are necessary to get your system booting with the new
hardware. emerge -e system should do that, along with recompiling the
kernel. As long as you have a working toolchain, you can then recompile
anything important to you that fails to work on the new hardware before
resetting the CFLAGS and doing a background emerge -e world while getting
on with whatever you use the computer for.

Don't forget to set PORTAGE_NICENESS in make.conf before you emerge -e
world.

I have read some docs that suggest what Mike said could happen to me,
because some intructions set are not compatible,  along with Neil
suggestion and Alex advice, I decided to recompile "system" with the
new "-mtune" instead of "-march" tonight. I'll just see if it works by
simply booting the new hardware and starting tunning.

If something goes wrong, I can always go with Neil and Dale suggestion
and start fresh, get /etc and /home, along with the world file, and
let portage do the hard work.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil