On 19 Jul 2007, at 01:41, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
If TiVo was renting ... the devices, I would probably be on the other
side of this discussion.

Oh, absolutely. There's entirely no reason for someone to have the right to install software on a device they don't own. But IMO on a device they do own then that right is paramount.

Tivo could easily have made a business model out of renting the hardware - they could simply have adjusted the subscription to cover the cost of the unit. The reason they didn't was marketing, pure & simple - to a consumer it's far more compelling to buy a device which you "own" for life than to consider the on-going cost of the subscription. $350 for the ownership of this great device which comes with a year's FREE subscription is far better than signing up for a $30-a-month contract with nothing to show for it at the end of a year.

Perhaps Volker doesn't consider himself the kind of sucker consumer who would fall for such a ploy. I find myself unable to explain his ire at "whingers" who disagree with him.

Stroller.