Hello,

I used to be able to use my mic with Alsa, about 2 or 3 years ago, I hadn't tried since, but the otherday I did and it didn't work. I have reinstalled everything from scratch since (to go from unstable to stable). I followed the guides/howtos on the Gentoo site, but no luck, the mic won't work correctly. I also noticed that I used to have more inputs/outputs to play with in alsamixer, but now all I have are Master, PCM, CD, Mic, Mic Boos, IEC958, and IEC958P. I used to have for instance Front Mic, that's the only one I explicitly remember. My front mic doesn't work at all (this is a laptop, details later), and if I plug a mic in the input, I can hear myself in the speakers, but none of the apps can, I tried to use gnome's recorder program, wengophone, ekiga, etc, no sound. Could anyone please help me? Here are the details :

Lenove/IBM Thinkpad T60p, gentoo-sources-2.6.22, alsa kernel module (I tried to use the module in portage, but it wouldn't compile), alsa-utils-1.0.14_rc2-r3.

I used this howto : http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

I didn't install media-libs/alsa-oss, since the howto in the gentoo docs doesn't say to, I think it's used if I install the driver in portage and not the kernel module (correct me if I'm wrong), the reast is the same.

lspci output : 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

I have this in my make.conf :

   ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol"

The sound works fine, I can listen to music and everything.

any ideas? Thanks!
Gabriel