I just got myself a new laptop and wanted to install Gentoo on it.
After getting a working base system installed, I tried to install
Xorg-x11, but the machine froze while trying to compile gcc.  Keep in
mind, there were no error messages, logs or anything of that nature.
Just a straight up lack of any sort of control over the system.

Now, just a little while ago I decided I'd try a different approach.
I thought perhaps the problem lies in how I compiled the kernel.  I
tried to emerge gcc in the livecd environment with my gentoo install
chrooted and sure enough, same deal.

Does anyone know what could cause this?  Or perhaps, what I should
look for to solve this problem?

Thanks.

--