Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:

> > > I've never seen starting up X/kde cause a system to hang before...

> > Is the whole system handing, or just X?

The entire system latches up tight, even the ssh remote shells and console.

> > Do you have a networked computer
> > you can SSH in from, that would enable you to kill X.

I start X(kde) with startx. I followed the guides in
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml

Code Listing 2.4: Configuring your local session
$ echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc

X/kde runs fine, but when I exit it now, the system latches up, tight
all ssh sessions, the console, everything.

> > If all else fails,
> > and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel, hold
> > down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to reboot
> > (reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between each key is
> > probably a good idea.

Interesting idea however this laptop does not have this key "SysReq/PrtScr".

> E, I, S, U, B

> so everything is killed, and nothing trying to write to disk, when unmounting
> them.

Hmm, I do not think you understand, when I exit X/kde the entire system is
latched up tight. None of the keys work, nothing is echoed to the screen,
the system is latched up tight. All I can do is power cycle the system.
When I do that the screen fades and the mouse cursor is visible but slowly
fades to a solid white screen. The system hangs at the very moment I use
the logout button in kde, to exit the system.

Very strange and very repeatable.....

maybe emerge --emptytree world?

revdep-rebuild -p is fine.

I am clueless how to fix this... ideas?