> > > I had it 'in' once too.
> > >
> > > And yes, it worked. But I did not see any improvements, so I took it out.
> > > I deactivate everything I do not need ...
> > >
> > >  The big improvements came, when I started using Ingo Molnar's cfs ;)
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  Running great.
> >
> > CFS sounds interesting.  I'm reading that will be in the main kernel
> > for 2.6.23.  Still with hardened-sources-2.6.20 here, but looking
> > forward to it.  Big difference?
>
> short: yes
>
> long answer: not in gaming (the difference in ut2004 is not very big. Maximum
> FPS are a little bit lower, minimum FPS a bit higher ... )  but everywhere
> else is. Desktop is snappier than the 'old' scheduler. Compiling stuff in the
> background? Even with PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 it was very obvious that something
> was happening. with cfs I did an emerge -e world (after switching to gcc 4.2)
> some days ago - emerge running with a niceness of 0 and most of the time I
> did not even realize that something was happening. I needed to switch to the
> vt (or use htop) to check that everything was working as it should.
>  Really, from my POV cfs is just great. It does not help with
> slow-as-hell-swap but that is a completly different story.

Nice.  I game not at all so that's no problem.

This new CPU has (I think) really revealed how slow my hard disk is.
It's a 320GB Seagate SATA2 (3GB/s) so it's not slow as HDs go, but it
can't keep up with the CPU and memory (2GB DDR800).  Whenever a video
stutters or something takes a little longer than it should, the xfce4
CPU graph shows it wasn't even close to maxed out, and the memory
usage is at like 300MB.  I'm sure neither of those are incredibly
accurate, but I think they do reveal something.

Does that sounds like an IO problem to you?  I could get another HD
and set up RAID at some point I guess.  Hopefully the CFS scheduler
you're talking about will help.

- Grant