i have a sony digital camera that takes movies, and it just shows up as a
usb drive.  i would assume that the video recorders would work the same
way.  maybe you can take a laptop to a store that sells them and check to
see if it works that way or find someone that has one and borrow it.  if you
dont want sony recorders im sure you can find another brand with the same
interface.