> On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 10:42:36AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > And another problem I had was with svn unable to find libexpat.so.0.
> > > emerging expat and subversion didn't help, so the only solution I could
> > > find was to to create an extra symlink for this.
> > >
> > > Henk.
> >

> > On my system the revdep-rebuild step rebuilt subversion. I wonder why
> > that didn't work for you?
>
> On a second machine I tried:
> revdep-rebuild -X --library=libexpat.so.0
>
> it recompiles a lot of packages including subversion and apache, however
> both programs won't run because libexpat.so.0 is required somewhere. If
> I run revdep-rebuild again, only arputil will be re-emerged, however
> that doesn't help, so for the time being I'll create the symlink as I
> did on my other machine and see if that helps enough to get my server
> running again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Henk.

Interesting info. Thanks. While I reported that the revdep-rebuild
command solved my problem which was Gnome not emerging, I cannot at
this time say that any applications actually work. I've finished
emerging Gnome but there are another 20 or so packages that a second
revdep-rebuild wanted to emerge again. I get quite tired, and frankly
do not understand, why gcc itself should be on this list so often, but
it's there and it takes a lot of time to rebuild so there I am....

I'll report back later as to the functionality of the system. It's
still running mythbackend as this process goes on. At least it's
helping my network do good things....

Cheers,
Mark