At Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:04:52 -0400 Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having a heck of a time trying to get wireless going on my laptop.
> I've tried so many things, I'm a bit dizzy and don't know where I've
> gone right or wrong.
>
> First things first.  lspci shows my wireless hardware as:
>
> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
> Network Connection (rev 02)
>
> I've tried to follow this guide:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw3945
>
> When I get to the point where it tells me to do modprobe ipw3945, I get
> a message (and since I added ipw3945d to the default runlevel, I also
> get this same message on boot) about not being able to find:
>
> chown '/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945/00*/cmd' no such file or directory
>
> lsmod does not list the driver even though I emerged it and added it to
> the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file
>
> I tried doing a google on the above error message and one of the hits
> indicated that the person had the same problem, but at least had the
> ipw3945 directory in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/  I don't even have that.
>
> I have no idea what is going on here, so any help would be appreciated.
> And since I'm not really strong in networking, please lead me by the nose.

I have the same hardware and had the same problem.  I have used the
following kludge to "fix" it.

Add ipw3945 to /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6
and add ipw3945d to the boot runlevel

The first attempt autoload ipd3945 (from modules.autoload) will cause
an error, but the second load (from the deamon in the boot runlevel)
succeeds.  When I pull the "erroneous" line from modules.autoload, the
load from the boot runlevel fails.  (It seems to need two tries :-) ).

I have been told that the new (unstable) baselayout fixes this but I
can't confirm since I run stable.

hth,
allan