I find it hard to make sure that I deal with restarting software after I
upgrade, so since I found the debian package debian-goodies contains a
tool called checkrestart, that checks if any in memory applications is
referencing old code, I converted it to using qfile and qlist from
portage-utils.

The tool is very simple and basically does a lsof and look for
applications that is accessing outdated disk files. It then checks what
of those applications has /etc/init.d scripts and list those, if it
can't find a init.d script, it list it with pid. Fx. spamd is detected
as perl, so it gets listed as unknown.

Code can be found at:

http://www.arcdraco.net/~dragon/checkrestart