Hello Benno Schulenberg,

> > GRUB cannot read files from a tail-packed Reiser filesystem.
>
> Huh?  How is this machine able to boot then?  Here /boot isn't a
> separate partition, but just a subdir of /, which is mounted
> without notail, and has been so for years.

As Volker said, maybe things have changed recently, but the requirement
was always to use notail when running reiserfs on /boot. that's why I use
ext3 on my root partition (no /boot partition), but I'd be happy to
switch it to reiser.

The latest baselayout-1 still has this warning in fstab
# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.

--
Neil Bothwick

And all the Borg left was this copy of OS/2...