On Friday 24 August 2007, James wrote:
> Sarpy Sam <sarpy.sam <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > title=kernel-2.6.21-gentoo-r4
> > > root(hd0,1)

Change this to:

root (hd0,0)

if you have installed Grub's fs in your /dev/hda1.  If your Grub root is
in /dev/hda3 then you need (hd0,2).  Use find from the command line to see
where your Grub root has been installed (see below).

BTW, unless you are dual booting with MS Windows you do not need a boot flag,
even more so two boot flags!

> > > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.21-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda3
> > > title=kernel-2.6.21-gentoo-r4
> > > root(hd0,1)
> > > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.21-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda1
> >
> > Grub method of numbering has always confused me but I thought that
> > root(hd0,1) would point to the hda2 partition which is the swap
> > partition.  Shouldn't it be root(hd0,0) to point it to the hda1
> > partition?  I could easily be wrong but that is what I would try.
>
> actually the above is what I tried first,
> the last few attempts have been:
>
>  root(hd0,0)

add a space after root.

> After I made that change, I even reemerged  grub
> and even used the grub shell......

The Grub shell is a very good way of finding where the Grub fs has been
installed.  From a root shell run:

# grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
 (hd0,X)
grub>

Where X is the partition number in Grub's nomenclature that your Grub root
resides.

Good luck.

--
Regards,