Symptom: dbus-binding-tool won't run because of a missing version of
expat

Research: We probably need to rebuild the package which provides
dbus-binding-tool because expat was updated to a new version which
caused it to break, so we:

# equery b dbus-binding-tool
[ Searching for file(s) dbus-binding-tool in *... ]
dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.73 (/usr/bin/dbus-binding-tool)

Solution: # emerge dev-libs/dbus-glib

Explanation: If dbus-glib had a new stable version available when the
big batch of updates came through this past week, then it would have
been inserted into the order between the expat update and the next
package which would call dbus-binding-tool during its build. This would
have solved the problem automatically but since there was no update to
dbus-glib... this happened to everyone.

The first time I went through this (I had 2 systems to update), I went
for a revdep-rebuild after i had this problem but found that it would
downgrade my newly updated kdelibs because konqueror hadn't been updated
yet which required older versions of other things which required the
older kdelibs... it was a mess and kdelibs takes a while to compile. So,
I decided to then attack the dbus-binding-tool problem directly and then
started thinking more clearly.

I was reading the last several replies to this issue and I couldn't find
any one of them to be short and sweet. So, that's my solution - quick
and to the point :-)

-Statux