James Ausmus wrote:
On 8/21/07, Dennis Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Originally I posted a problem with a corrupted portage file.  That has
since been fixed, now I just plain cannot figure out how to
resynchronize with the world.  I tried removing all unnecessary
packages, and using revdep and what not.  Now, I have a conflict that I
cannot figure out how to resolve.  The first time I got this failure,
I tried just emerging gcc.  I thought it brought in version 4.someting,
but I find that I still have 3.3.6, which I would have thought to be new
enough to build glibc.

Try typing in:

gcc-config -l

You will probably get something like the following (except with 3.3.6):

 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130 *
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardened
 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednopie
 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednopiessp
 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednossp
 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1

These are the different versions of gcc that are available on your
system. The one marked with the asterisk (*) is your current default
compiler. At this point, you could issue a:

gcc-config 6

Yes, that and the links helped.  Thanks.

One day, I will sort out all the rest of the issues that keep
cropping up.  If I had just done a clean install, it would likely
have worked, but I have had trouble with the 2007.0 Live CD
failing in ways I do not even know how to report, so I tried to
just upgrade.  Now, I am in a USE flag hell of my own making. :-(

Thanks again for the pointers.  I installed the various compiler
versions, but not gotten the correct one configured as default.

[snip]