Personally, I find genkernel really nice (and yes I've got a raided setup)... but even if I didn't I'd still use it. As for those folks that don't like it, well ... it's optional!

I guess if I were building kernels for Gentoo and (say) Centos systems, then I might want to use a method that works for all distros...

2c

Mark