Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Dell Inspiron 1721 is based on AMD ATI M690T chipset, Turion 64 X2 dual core
> > processors with speeds from 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz, and ATI Mobility Radeon X1270

> > so How/where do I read which chipsets are covered by which drivers?

> I would personally visit the Phoronix forums, sign up and ask the
> question there.

> On the other hand, why do you need the ati-driver package at all. Have
> you considered just using the radeon driver in the kernel until you
> get this machine up and running and then deal with this driver issue
> later? That's my usual path to making a new ATI machine useful as
> quickly as possible.

Got vesa working. For now that good enough. I'll give the ati-drivers another
shot, once I read somewhere where this chips is covered by the ati-drivers:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 791f

It does not even show up in my favorite hardware index:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/hwdata/trunk/pcitable?rev=5

James