  I'm using alsa
  I'm not using arts
  I'm not using esd
  My USE flags include gstreamer
  Flash video works
  Flash audio is completely silent

Here's what I've tried:
  # emerge netscape-flash
  $ rm -r ~/.mozilla (and other firefox-ish or macromedia dirs)
  Restarting the box
  Creating a new user and starting a KDE session as that user

In all cases above, Youtube videos and every other site using Flash works
great... except for the audio.  I have no sound whatsoever.

This has been the case for some time, but I've been unable to find the problem
and Google hasn't been much help either.  There's lots of mentions of 64bit
systems running into this, but both of my machines are running in 32bit mode
(one is AMD64 desktop, the other is a Intel Centrino laptop).

Does anyone have some ideas as to what I'm missing here?  I'm kinda desperate
at this point as I'm about to go on a very long tour through Europe and I
won't have time to troubleshoot this sorta thing then.