> For Grant:
> I reread the init script for sshd, and I know see what was most likely
> the problem. The init script, now, tries to kill all instances with
> the process name of sshd, not just the daemon (as specified by the pid
> file). This is why you were locked out when trying to restart the
> daemon. If you can restart the machine, everything should be working
> fine after a reboot. This behavior differs from every other distro of
> linux that I have used, and with previous versions of the init script.
> Sorry I missed that before emailing the list last time.

That's alright, I really appreciate your attention.  One thing though.
 Your init script discovery doesn't explain why sshd wouldn't restart
(stop actually) when I was logged in does it?  Given that, do you
still think restarting is the way to go?  I'm just trying to make sure
I don't restart and still not have access.  That would be bad because
there is a crucial daemon running now that won't come up
automatically.

Please tell me what you think.

- Grant