On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:27:53 +0200
econti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everybody, this is my first post on the list.
>
> Well, I'm running a 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 2006.0 on a AMD64 machine.
>
> Now I'd like to make a world upgrade. I know that I should run the
> following commands:
>
> emerge --sync
> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
> emerge --depclean
> revdep-rebuild
>
> A little question: how long does it take to complete the upgrade?
> (sure, it depends on the installed software, but please give me an
> approximation)

It's impossible, since it doesn't only depends on the installed
software. It also depends on many other factors:

1.- the time when you did the last update
2.- the number of packages that has updates, which is not always
    related to the number of packages you have installed, but to
    _what_ packages do you have installed. Some packages doesn't
    get updates too frequently, while others change a lot.
3.- external factors, like overlays

It just depends on _what_ needs to be updated.

I can give you a few hints, though. Most packages can compile in
a reasonable amount of time. Some specific packages will take
longer to compile. You will learn to identify them with the time.
For example, openoffice if probably the largest, and can take from
several hours up to days, depending on your hardware. Some kde
packages are big, like kmail. Qt or Gtk as intermediate things.
Glibc and gcc can take a lot of time, as xorg-server, for example.

Whe you are doing the update, you have to know a few things. On first
place, use this instead of your command above:

merge --update --deep --newuse --verbose --ask world

This will present you with a list of the packages that will be
updated, that way, you know how many packages are going to be
updated, but, more important, you will know _what_ packages will
be merged.

The depclean and revdep steps shouldn't be too time consuming
on a sane system. So, if you use them regularly, those steps
will not rob much of your time. The sync step depends on your
connection speed and the time since your last sync. It can take
a few minutes on a fast connection if your tree is up to date.
But it can take a day on a 56k modem if you tree is empty or
way too outdated.
--
Jesús Guerrero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>