I'm getting close to buying the parts for my new machine (see earlier msgs)
& an Intel quad-core mentioned by a helpful responder
has now come down almost within my price range.
The CPU I have been contemplating for some weeks is
an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 4 MB 65 nm 2,67 GHz', which sells for  CAD 225 ,
but there is now 'Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8 MB 65 nm 2,4 GHz' for  CAD 305 ;
the  8 MB  cache in the latter divides into  2 x 4 MB / pair  processors.
Prices continue to drop weekly & should go lower with our higher CAD.

My guess is that even a dual-core CPU wb overkill for my simple desktop,
but I'm keen to get value for money in a machine intended to last to 2011 .
Does anyone have any thoughts re dual- vs quad-core processors
when used for various purposes with Gentoo ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]