Hello Jerry McBride,

> Just my two cents worth here. Often I find a need to generate a
> duplicate of an existing gentoo installation and to ease the build
> process I run this script via cron...
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rm  /portage.list/*.*
>
> emerge -pe --color=n system > /portage.list/system.list
> emerge -pe --color=n world  > /portage.list/world.list
>
> Basicly it generates a list of installed ebuilds for both the system
> and world model.

Why not just backup the world list itself, /var/lib/portage/world? Your
method doesn't distinguish between packages in world and their
dependencies, emerging from this would result in a screwed world file.

The system list is contained in your profile, so you just need a note of
where /etc/make.profile points, which you will already have is you
backup /etc.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you smoke after sex, you're doing it too fast.