Hi,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:42:58 -0500 Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> another great thing about grub is that it has a limited command mode
> that you can enter at boot time.  If your grub config contains a typo
> or error, you can still boot the computer without reaching for a CD.

And, OTOH, it can install itself to other devices (but only the stage1,
stage 1.5 and/or stage 2 have to be already present on the target
device). So you can take a grub-enabled CD, boot it and restore your
system's hosed boot loader (say you just installed Windows or similar)
from the grub prompt.

Also, I prefer grub's "savedefault" features to the "-R" switch for
lilo (e.g. test boots w/ new kernels -- don't forget the "panic=..."
kernel parameter then!).

-hwh