A friend of mine had a lot of those. He discovered the problem was the
"mtune" parameter at the make.conf CFLAGS.
He removed "mtune=athlon-xp" (his case) and all the compiling problems and
segfaults stopped. He is using i686 arch and gcc v4.1.
Try to do that and then "emerge -DNuva system" and "revdep-rebuild".

Regards,

Saffi

--
*Ricardo Saffi Marques*
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)