On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Tapio Raevaara wrote:

> "Network monitoring" can be interpreted in many different ways, are you
> sure your users realize what that really means?
>
> Unless you've already done so, it might be a good idea to send a message
> reminding of the policy to all users, mention that a single user has been
> violating that policy, and that if this will not stop immediately, you'll
> be forced to start monitoring the traffic.

I'd go further than that, I would be more specific regarding the way in which
that user violated the policy:  e.g. used company IT equipment to
access 'such & such' type of website in company time.  In my company, 'social
networking websites' like myface, youtube and what not, are out of bounds.
Ditto for ebay - employees were spending far too much time browsing deals on
ebay.

Also, what are the implications of violating the policy - speak to your HR
department first and reiterate these in the same message; e.g. porn may be
instant dismissal, but ebay may just result in a disciplinary hearing.  Then
check that (s)he (and others) don't just use anonymouse to get to their
preferred websites . . .
--
Regards,
Mick