Alex Schuster ha scritto:
econti writes:

Hi all
to-day I successfully updated Xorg (from 6.x to 7.x).
A little trouble only; on boot I receive the following error message:

Setting up kdm . . .
start-stop-daemon: option `--exec' requires an argument
Try `start-stop-daemon --help' for more information
*ERROR: could not start the Display Manager

Well, I tried `start-stop-daemon --help' but I did not understand much.
So I ran 'kdm' from command line and . . . KDE works!

How can I make kdm start on boot again?

Does this give anyy output? It should give /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm.
  . /lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh
  get_options service xdm

In /etc/X11/startDM.sh, in line 22, this is being used to determine what to start with `start-stop-daemon --exec ${EXEC} a few lines later:
  EXEC="$(get_options service)"
Well, to-day I made the following attempts:

hard coded the path to kdm in /etc/X11/startDM.sh, so the previuos line became:

EXEC="/usr/kde/3.4/bin/kdm
and kdm starts on boot. Then I tried also:

EXEC="$(cat /var/lib/init.d/options/xdm/service)"

and this works too!

Conclusion: it is $(get_options service) that does not work correctly after upgrading xorg.

Emilio